Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Mia's first day of Kindergarten!


Mia had a super fun first day of Kindergarten!  She came home full of stories... everything from playing blocks to the boy that is a "mess maker" (evidently he didn't listen and made messes).  Each day the teacher sends home a calendar marked with a color and a symbol to show the student's behavior.  Today Mia came home with white (the best color) and a smilie face (the second best symbol) - evidently she got some points taken off for talking out of turn and for not laying still at rest time.  She did,  however, learn how to spell her entire name - both verbally and writing.  She is super excited about going back tomorrow.

I held it together until I was walking away from her room.  She didn't have an issue at all saying a quick good bye and getting to work.  I was worried that she hadn't understood that I was leaving and would stop coloring, look up, see me gone and spazz out.  But nope - she did fantastic.  I didn't end up attending the BooHoo Breakfast for the K moms because I couldn't stand the thought of being in a room of strangers while I had uncontrollable tears running down my face - I pretty much just made a beeline to the car, drove home and started cleaning.  I *think* tomorrow will be better and I won't feel as frantic all day.

First Day projects (yes the ideas are either something I saw on pinterest and copied or stemmed from something I saw on there):

~Picture Frame - It's actually a shadow frame.  Between now and her first day of first grade it will hang on the wall with just her tiny kindergarten hand print.  The idea is that each year I'll add a new hand print in a different color thru her senior year of high school.

~T-shirt:  Class of 2026 here we come - in 12 years.  LOL  The idea is to take her pic in it on the first day of school each year and see how she grows.  I made the appliques and attached them using stitch witchery.  Everything that could have possibly gone wrong in making the shirt did.  Don't ever ask to see the back... not gonna happen.  

~Dress:  Made by me, as was the headband, using an up and coming Australian designer's Maya Knit Dress pattern.  (I'm currently a tester for her new patterns... you can find her on etsy here)

~ First Day Teacher's Gift:  A simple vintage mason jar with a small bouquet of flowers that Mia picked out and a note that reads "I'm looking forward to you helping me Learn and Grow this year!" 


We are all super excited about this new chapter in our lives - it's just going to take some getting used to as big changes always do.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment